Singapore spent about US$12 million (about 372 million baht) on the historic summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in the island city on June 12, down from an earlier estimate of US$16 million, The Straits Times reported today.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said in a statement today that the biggest component of the amount was spent on security, according to the paper.
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong had previously estimated that the summit would cost around US$16 million to host, said an MFA spokesman.
Prime Minister Lee had told reporters during a visit to the international media centre that the summit was Singapore’s contribution to an international endeavour that was “in our profound interest”.
The Straits Times quoted a Ministry of Communications and Information spokesman as saying that media spending was around US$3 million.
The June 12 meeting concluded with the signing of a joint document between the two leaders, outlining their commitment to the complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula.
In exchange for Pyongyang dismantling its nuclear programme, Washington had pledged to stop joint military exercises with Seoul.
