Tingey Injury Law Firm
Thailand News

Thai cave rescue boys mourn after hearing that diver died

Written by Thailand News

The 12 boys and their coach rescued from a Thai cave have mourned an ex-Navy Seal who died while taking part in the mission, the health ministry has said.

The Wild Boars football team are recovering in hospital following 18 days spent inside the Tham Luang cave after entering on 23 June and getting trapped by monsoon floodwaters.

Doctors say they are in good health following a successful three-day operation which ended on 10 July when teams of Thai navy Seals and international cave diving experts hauled the last five members of the team to safety.

The lead-up to the final phase of the mission was met with tragedy when volunteer and former Navy Seal diver Saman Kunan died on 6 July while placing oxygen tanks along the twisting passageways of the cave.

Saman was widely hailed as a hero but the boys, aged 11 to 16, were only told about his death on Saturday after a medical team said they were strong enough mentally to handle the news. A number of them wept after hearing it.

“All cried and expressed their condolences by writing messages on a drawing of Lieutenant Commander Saman and observed one minute of silence for him,” said Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk, permanent secretary at the health ministry.

British diver pays tribute to navy Seal who died in Thailand cave rescue

Photos showed the youngsters crowded around a sketch of Saman scrawling messages on it and bowing their heads in commemoration.

“They also thanked him and promised to be good boys,” the statement said.

Tributes from Thailand and around the world have poured in for Saman, a triathlete and diver who retired from the military in 2006 and worked at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport before volunteering to help with the rescue in northern Thailand.

Specialists who took part in the risky mission to bring the Wild Boars home have expressed shock and surprise that they were able to pull it off, with some fearing that there could have been more casualties.

The unprecedented and daring final push to bring the boys out saw them sedated and carried through waterlogged and partially dry corridors with the help of military stretchers and nearly 100 divers.

Health officials have conveyed a largely positive picture of the boys’ recovery. All are expected to leave hospital on Thursday.

The health ministry said the overall condition for the players and coach was normal, though many are still on a course of antibiotics.

Despite the positive assessments so far, experts have said they would all need to be monitored closely for signs of psychological distress that could take months to manifest.

They spent nine days in the dark, dank cave before being located by two British divers.

The boys and their parents have been advised to spend time with friends and family and not to give media interviews as that could trigger post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms.

But the interest in their story is unlikely to evaporate overnight, as Hollywood producers are already jockeying to make a film version of the saga.

Source link

About the author

Thailand News

Leave a Comment

Translate »