Environment groups in Philippines have threatened to hold a “final” prayer-walk protest tomorrow (Tuesday) against a proposed massive P80-billion twin coal-fired power plant project in the villages of Carisquis and Nalvo Sur due to start in August, according to The Manila Times Online on Monday (Mar 26).
Leader of the Koalisyon IsLBAR Ti Pintas Ti La Union (Save the Beauty of La Union Coalition), Save and Anak Ti Luna, Crisanta Palabay, said the groups had raised health and environmental concerns, calling the project hazardous and destructive during a public hearing held in December last year.
The project will be built on a 41-hectare in the villages of Carisquis and Nalvo Sur in a joint venture with Global Luzon Energy Development Corp, established by business tycoon Manuel Pangilinan of Meralco and George Iy of Metrobank. It is expected to generate 670 megawatt electricity.
Palabay said his group would do its best to stop the construction despite alleged harassment of some of their allies.
Farming and fishing are two major livelihoods of the township which apparently will be threatened with the construction of the power plant.
Luna Mayor Victor Marvin Marron said the project could earn up to an average of P500 million in real property tax and generate jobs for 3,000 qualified skilled and non-skilled workers and 300 highly-skilled employees.
Addressing the concerns of environment groups, Marron said a memorandum of agreement that the local government unit agreed with the proponents provides for safety measures during the construction period and during its operation.
He said that the plant would use supercritical pulverized coal fuel for the boiler so that there is no black emissions and ashes that will pollute the air.
The power plant, said Marron, will be the first major infrastructure in the once ghost town and is seen to boost its economy, tourism and employment.